Currently in full time private practice offering the following professional services:
- Marital therapy – relationship and intimacy difficulties - communication
- Colaborative divorce coach
- Sex therapy, Sexual dysfunctions
- Sexual addictions – individual and group
- General life issues
- Depression and anxiety
- Sex offenders – assessment and therapy
- Victims of abuse
- Trauma workshops and therapy, individual and group, intergenerational and creative approaches
- Honorary Lecturer, UBC Medical School
- Supervision for therapists
- Supervisor for therapists at Oak Counseling Center
- Assessments for Court purposes: sex offenders, dangerous offenders: Accepted as an expert witness by the Provincial, County, Supreme, and Appeal Courts of British Columbia.
- Assessments of refugee claimants: Accepted as an expert by the Immigration and Refugee Board
- Assessment of WCB claimants: Accepted as an expert by the Workers' Compensation Appeal Tribunal
Indian Residential School Adjudication:
- Assessments for the Independent Assessment Process
- Hormone and surgery readiness assessments, group and individual therapy
- Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario
- Clinical Psychology, 1981
- McGill University, Montreal, Quebec
- Experimental Psychology, 1975
- Reed College, Portland, Oregon
- Experimental Psychology, 1973
- Registered as a psychologist in the Province of British Columbia, Member of the Canadian Psychological Association, the British Columbia Psychological Association, and the College of Psychologists of British Columbia.
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTS AND ASSOCIATIONS
- Co-chair of the Vancouver BC group
Forensic Psychiatric Services
- Psychological assessments as Amicus Curiae for the Court with regards to Dangerous Offender applications.
Maples Adolescent Centre
- Comprehensive residential assessments of adolescents.
Greater Vancouver Mental Health Services
- Assessments of parental capacity.
Vancouver Association for the Survivors of Torture
- Presentations regarding trauma, assessments of refugees.
East District Probation and Family Court Services, Specialized Supervision Unit.
- Assessment and treatment of sex offenders.
Residential School Survivors' Groups and Residential School workshops.
- Work with Native communities in British Columbia
- Program establishment, training of Native therapists and clinical work with participants.
Gwa'sala Nakwaxda'xw Band Family Intervention Program
- Program establishment, training of staff, clinical supervision.
- Therapy with staff, community members, individuals, couples, families and groups.
- Assessment and treatment of sexual abusers in a court referred alternate sentencing program.
- Clinical director during last part of program's existence.
National Parole Board
- Assessments of prospective parolees.
Corrections Service Canada
- Psychological assessments of inmates at Federal Institutions.
Province of British Columbia, Ministry of Attorney General, Corrections Branch
- Psychologist for the Burnaby Correctional Centre for Women.
Ministry of Attorney General, Corrections Branch
- Psychologist for the Lakeside Correctional Centre for Women.
- Post Doctoral Internship, University of British Columbia, 1981 - 1982.
- Probation Services, Ontario, 1980 - 1981.
- Psychology Clinic, Queen's University, Internship, 1980 - 1981.
- Psychological Services, Kingston Penitentiary, Internship, summer, 1978.
- Psychology Outpatient Services, Kingston Psychiatric Hospital, 1977.
- Behaviour Modification Unit, Montreal General Hospital, Summer, 1976.
- Tutor, UBC Medical School, teaching sexual medicine clinical skills, Current
- Teaching Associateship, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1980 - 1981
- Consultant, Family Counselling Service, Kingston, Ontario, 1980.
- Teaching Assistantships: Queen's University, Introductory Psychology, Learning, McGill University, Laboratory Methods, Behaviour Modification, Introductory Psychology, 1973 - 1980.
- Ph.D. thesis, Control of Sexual Arousal and Discrimination Between Cues by Rapists and Non-Rapists, Queen's University, 1977 - 1981.
- M.A. thesis, Conditioned Aversion to Visual Cues, McGill University, 1973 - 1975.
- B.A. thesis, Responses of Purkinje Cells in the Frog Cerebellum to Stimulation of the Hindlimb, Reed College, 1970 - 1973.
- Research Assistantship, Concordia University, 1974 - 1977.
- Clinical and Experimental Psychology, 1971 - 1976.
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Wydra, A., Gesher; Healing Trauma by Bridging Generations and Creative Approaches, paper presented at the meeting of the International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies, Miami, Florida, November, 1999. Gesher also presented to various professional audiences, 1999 - current.
- Wydra, A., The cognitions of incestuous vs paedophilic offenders, paper presented at the meeting of Psychology and the Law, Tuscon, Arizona, February, 1986.
- Wydra, A., Marshall, W.L. Barbaree, H.E. and Earls, C., Control of Sexual Arousal and Discrimination Between Rapists and Non-Rapists, September, 1983.
- Wydra, A., Men's Motivation to Rape, paper presented for publication.
- Wydra, A., Marshall, W.L., Barbaree, H.E., Earls, C. and Davidson, P., Control of Sexual Arousal, paper presented at the annual meeting of the Canadian Psychological Association, Toronto, June, 1982.
- Wydra, A., A variety of talks on subjects related to various paraphilias.
SCHOLARSHIPS AND HONOURS
- Honorary Lecturer, UBC Medical School, Current
- Ontario Mental Health Foundation, research studentships, 1978-81.
- Queen's University academic scholarship, 1977-78.
- Research Assistantship, Dr. D. Bindra, McGill University, 1975-76.
- Research Assistantship, Dr. R. Melzack, McGill University, 1973-75.
- Phi Beta Kappa, awarded in 1973.
- Academic Scholarship, Reed College, 1970-73.
- President's Commend for Excellence in Scholarship', Reed College, 1973.